Class 3 Weapons


Class 3 Weapons Sales from Guns Warehouse

Silencer1Guns Warehouse is a fully licensed Class III dealer stocking Silencers, Short Barrel Rifles and Machine Guns.

Contrary to popular belief, silencers, machine guns, short barrel rifles and shotguns are and always have been legal to own under federal law. At this time, the following states allow private ownership of silencers: AL, AR, AK, AZ, CO, CT, FL, GA, ID, IN, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MO, MS, MT, ND, NE, NV, NH, NM, NC, OH, OK, OR, PA, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, WA, WI, WV, and WY.

For more information, or to ask a question, please call us at 512-986-7330 or email

Class 3 Weapons and the National Firearms Act (“NFA”)

Silencers, Short Barrel Rifles, and Machine Guns, are regulated under the National Firearms Act (NFA) of 1934, and are regulated by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms. The procedure for owning a these items may seem daunting at first, but actually requires less paperwork than buying an automobile.

To legally purchase a Class III item falling under the purview of the NFA, you must be at least 21 years of age, a resident of the United States, and have no felony record. The first step is to visit a Class III dealer. Once a product and price have been settled on, the Class III dealer will provide the prospective purchaser with duplicate ATF Form 4’s and two sets of fingerprint cards. The Form 4’s must be filled out on both sides, with passport photos of the prospective buyer affixed to the backside of the form. The buyer then has the Chief Law-Enforcement officer sign the rear of the Form 4’s attesting the prospective purchaser does not possess a criminal record and is not wanted. The two fingerprint cards must be completed and signed by a Law Enforcement agency. The completed paperwork is then sent to the Department of the Treasury with a check or money order for $200.00. The $200.00 is known as a “transfer tax” because it must be paid whenever ownership of the silencer is “transferred” (in this case, the dealer to the prospective purchaser). As long as ownership remains with the same person, the tax need not be paid again. Only if the owner sells it will a new transfer tax need to be paid. An owner may will his silencer to a lawful heir with no tax incurred.

Once the paper work is submitted, it normally takes 90 to 180 days to receive the approved, stamped paperwork from the NFA Branch. It is only upon the return of the approved paperwork that the dealer can allow the prospective purchaser to take possession of their new Class 3 item. A copy of the approved paperwork must accompany the Class 3 item at all times (the original should be stored in a safe or safe deposit box.

For more complete information click here: